Meta: ISFDB, edited by Bruce Sterling
Near-Future SF: prosthetics sport, internet of things, hacktivism, economy locusts, and trans-human
This is the third annual anthology featuring several highly praised and awarded SF authors, with the first in the row being The Best New Science Fiction – see also my review of the 2013 edition. The stories‘ topic is Near Future SF, none was published before.
I absoluteley needed to get this anthology – not as an ebook but printed, because it contains a great gallery of John Schoenherr – some of his famous Dune illustrations are reprinted in full color. The anthology differs from other anthologies in adding an interview (with Gene Wolfe) and a review of a book by Stanislaw Lem.
My favourite ★★★★★ stories were
- Petard: A Tale of Just Deserts by Cory Doctorow
- Slipping by Lauren Beukes
Zero, ★ or ★★ for me were
- Countermeasures by Chris N. Brown
Contents (from isfdb):
- Preface by Bruce Sterling who contrasts his Southerne status against New England’s MIT. Funny, but not very interesting.
- Interview of Gene Wolfe by Jason Pontin – a great embracment of this grandmaster’s work. I’m a big fan of Gene Wolfe and love especially his earlier (more complicate) work. Pontin does an awesome job, asks good questions. The only thing: It has got nothing to do with the topic of the anthology, Near Future SF.
- ★★★★1/2 • Slipping • 2014 • shortstory by Lauren Beukes • prosthecis sports • review
- ★ • Countermeasures • shortstory by Christopher Nakashima Brown • one big, confusing infodump throwing loads of buzzwords on the heads of readers. ’nuff said.
- ★★★1/2 • Business As Usual • shortstory by Pat Cadigan • internet of things with fridges and toilets • review
- ★★★★★ • Petard: A Tale of Just Deserts • hacktivism story • shortstory by Cory Doctorow • review
- ★★ • The Shipping Forecast • spy thriller trip through London • shortstory by Warren Ellis • review
- Gallery: The Artwork of John Schoenherr • interior artwork by John Schoenherr
- ★★ • Persona • shortstory by Joel Garreau • review
- ☆ • Death Cookie / Easy Ice • shortstory by William Gibson • excerpt of The Peripheral • review
- ★★★ • Los Piratas del Mar de Plastico (Pirates of the Plastic Ocean) • shortstory by Paul Graham Raven • economy locusts in Spain • review
- ★★★1/2 • The Various Mansions of the Universe • shortstory by Bruce Sterling • trans-human SF adaption of Walden • review
- At Home in the Cosmos • review of Stanislaw Lem by Peter Swirski